Rock Climbing & Rappelling
Rock climbing and/or rappelling offer a perfect forum for discussing and building trust, and ultimately trust is at the heart of relationships. Team members are literally trusting one another to help them up a rock or safely down a rock. What more appropriate venue for setting goals and helping one another over come challenges? The ropes that we use are visible forms of trust and offer an easy entry into conversations about what we trust, how we build trust and how we lose it. A final element that we have incorporated into the climbing programs is coaching and having team members coach one another up the rock. We can then use these insights to talk about coaching in the workplace.
A typical ½ day experience: Trusting yourself and your Team through Rock Climbing.
This jammed pack half day learning experience focus on building trust by learning and engaging in rock climbing. Participants are taught climbing, belaying, rappelling and spotting skills and have an opportunity to climb and rappel.Typical agenda
- Prior to arrival—complete mini-assessment providing goals for the work and background about participants
- 20 min Arrival, welcome, introductions and objectives
- 20 min Overview of equipment and safety
- 15 min The Rock—examine rock, setting goals, and setting up coaching teams
- 2 hr Teaching a few climbing basics & CLIMB
- 40 min Debrief & application
- Teaching belaying
- Team members belay each other (with backup)
- Teaching rappelling (particularly good for engaging in discussions about faith in equipment/technology)
Upon completion of all programs a follow up report is sent highlighting lessons learned.